|Gallier & Turpin watercolor perspective drawing for Luling house, 1865.|
Above and below are items we showed the class, including the original Gallier and Turpin watercolor perspective rendering, a Theodore Lilienthal 1867 photo of the house in its early days showing its original dependencies accessed by arched bridges. The dependencies contained a stable, kitchen, billiard/smoking room, and a bowling alley. The faint pencil drawing is by James Freret, ca. 1870, and we're not sure why he drew it. The large photo is a reproduction of one from the 1870s, when the house served as the Jockey Club. And we have photos from the 1890s through the 1950s. The ink drawing is a 1904 proposal by Rathbone DeBuys to alter the exterior of the mansion in the arts and crafts style, but was never carried out. And, an 1896 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map showing the house with its dependencies, when used at the Jockey Club. The house was converted to an apartment building in the 1930s, and is still in use today.
|1867 Theodore Lilienthal photograph.|
|Ca. 1870 pencil drawing by James Freret.|
|Reproduction of 1870s photograph, Unidentified photographer.|
|1904 Rathbone DeBuys ink on linen drawing for proposal|
to redesign the mansion.
|1896 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map showing the Luling house with its original dependencies when it was used as|
the Louisiana Jockey Club.